Three years ago, Paulie Giannone told then-music supervisor Mike Kurtz he could apprentice at his newly opened pizzeria, Paulie Gee's. Mike told Paulie, "Next week, when I come in, I'm going to bring my condiment." The first day of his apprenticeship, in walked Mike with a bottle of his homemade chile-infused honey.
It wasn't long before the two pizzaioli figured out that the chile and vinegar-spiked honey and Paulie's Dellboy pizza (a salty, meaty, piquant pizza made with spicy sopressata, fresh mozz, and parmigiano reggiano) were a match made in pizza heaven. And that's how the aptly named Hellboy, a must-order pie on the Paulie Gee's menu, was born.
Click through the slideshow to learn how to make the Hellboy at home.
What You'll Need (for one pizza)
- 1 dough portion (Watch this video to learn how to make Neapolitan style dough)
- Fresh tomato sauce
- Fresh mozarella, chopped or ripped into small pieces
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Soppressata piccante (Paulie gets his from Salumeria Biellese)
- Mike's Hot Honey (You can buy a 12 oz bottle of Mike's chili pepper-infused honey at Paulie Gee's or online at mikeshothoney.com)