Back in '98 or so, Where's George appeared on the Web. Its gimmick: Enter your dollar bill's serial number and see where it's been. The site enjoyed a brief period of semifame, garnering mentions on various local news broadcasts and in the "Cool Sites" columns of midsize daily papers, and then faded from the collective consciousness just as fast. (People were spending money too quickly to care where it had come from.) I, too, had forgotten about the site until spotting this piece in the Chicago Tribune. Turns out Pino, a pizza deliveryman in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, is one of the site's top users.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops