Where's George appeared on the Web. Its gimmick: Enter your dollar bill's serial number and see where it's been. The site enjoyed a brief period of semifame, garnering mentions on various local news broadcasts and in the "Cool Sites" columns of midsize daily papers, and then faded from the collective consciousness just as fast. (People were spending money too quickly to care where it had come from.) I, too, had forgotten about the site until spotting this piece in the Chicago Tribune. Turns out Pino, a pizza deliveryman in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, is one of the site's top users.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 3): 27 Labor Day Desserts to Save Room For
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie