Back in '98 or so, Where's George appeared on the Web. Its gimmick: Enter your dollar bill's serial number and see where it's been. The site enjoyed a brief period of semifame, garnering mentions on various local news broadcasts and in the "Cool Sites" columns of midsize daily papers, and then faded from the collective consciousness just as fast. (People were spending money too quickly to care where it had come from.) I, too, had forgotten about the site until spotting this piece in the Chicago Tribune. Turns out Pino, a pizza deliveryman in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, is one of the site's top users.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Special Sauce: Dinosaur BBQ's John Stage on His Unlikely Path to Pitmaster