An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- No Brine, No Heat: Easy Pickled Onions in Just 15 Minutes
- How Hot Is Too Hot? Adam Savage and The Food Lab Sear Steaks to Find Out