An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Step Aside, McRib Sandwich: The Food Lab's Ribby McRibface Just Stole Your Glory
- White Sauce Can't Clump: How to Make Smooth, Silky Béchamel
- How to Make Boston Baked Beans, the Low, Slow, Old-Fashioned Way
- Rock Out With Your Wok Out: 23 Easy Stir-Fry Recipes
- The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Halibut