An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- A Social History of Jell-O Salad: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- Beyond the Taco: 30 Mexican, Mexican-Inspired, and Tex-Mex Recipes
- Turn Scallion Greens and Tomato Skins From Trash to Delicious Powdered Treasure