An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- Special Sauce: Dinosaur BBQ's John Stage on His Unlikely Path to Pitmaster
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops