An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Transform Your Leftover Turkey Into Crispy, Juicy Carnitas
- Leftovers Are the Best Part: 20 Recipes for the Day After Thanksgiving
- Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past: Our Highest Highs and Lowest Lows
- The Food Lab: How to Make a Gooey Apple Pie
- The Pressure Cooker Makes Rich, Hearty Ragù Bolognese in Record Time