An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 3 Simple Yucatán-Style Condiments to Spice Up Taco Night
- Salt Lake Spirit: How Utah's Liquor Laws Foster Creativity Behind the Bar
- 30-Minute Meal Plan: Quick and Simple Recipes to Free Up a Busy Week
- How to Make the Most Flavorful Limeade, Summer's Best Drink
- Why Preserved Lemons Belong on Your Shelf