An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- It's Always Morning Somewhere: My Favorite Breakfasts Around the World
- My Cookie Obsession: Tender, Melting, Gooey Alfajores
- The Foolproof Steps to Making a Perfect French Omelette at Home
- The Easy Way to Make Fresh Corn Tortillas at Home
- The Food Lab's American Omelettes (and Why You Should Salt Your Eggs in Advance)