An item in Newsday gives some info on the history and classification of the tomato. Among other things, it reveals that the tomato is a fruit. That ain't news to me (I learned that factoid back in, like, Fifth Grade), but I did learn that the plant's latin name, Lycopersicon esculentum, means "edible wolf-peach."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 24 Creamy, Melty, Cheesy Recipes to Warm Your Belly
- Forget Soaking. Use Your Pressure Cooker for Perfect Black Beans in Under an Hour.
- The Food Lab: 15-Minute Ultra-Gooey Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Can Cinder, the World's Most Precise Griddle, Replace Sous-Vide?
- The 10 Dishes That Will Make You Fall in Love With Georgian Food