A Guide to the French. Handle With Care: "Never use the word 'toilette' when asking a host for directions to the powder room; try to avoid going there at all. Never say 'Bon appétit' at the start of a meal. Don't talk loudly. Never discuss your religion or your money at dinner. Eat hamburgers, pizza, foie gras, and sorbet with a fork. Always say 'bonjour' to the bus driver, and to fellow passengers on elevators. 'Pas mal' doesn't necessarily mean 'Not bad.' It can mean 'Great!'
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Special Sauce: Dinosaur BBQ's John Stage on His Unlikely Path to Pitmaster