A Guide to the French. Handle With Care: "Never use the word 'toilette' when asking a host for directions to the powder room; try to avoid going there at all. Never say 'Bon appétit' at the start of a meal. Don't talk loudly. Never discuss your religion or your money at dinner. Eat hamburgers, pizza, foie gras, and sorbet with a fork. Always say 'bonjour' to the bus driver, and to fellow passengers on elevators. 'Pas mal' doesn't necessarily mean 'Not bad.' It can mean 'Great!'
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 30-Minute Meal Plan: Quick and Simple Recipes to Free Up a Busy Week
- The Best Sautéed Broccoli Rabe Is Overcooked Broccoli Rabe
- 3 Simple Yucatán-Style Condiments to Spice Up Taco Night
- How to Make the Most Flavorful Limeade, Summer's Best Drink
- Salt Lake Spirit: How Utah's Liquor Laws Foster Creativity Behind the Bar