Jeremy Cesarec of the website Metromix goes from "pizza schmoe to pizza pro" after taking a pizza workshop and hanging out in the kitchens of a couple pizza chefs, including one at Mario Batali's Otto Pizzeria. At Otto, they cook pizzas on a griddle then finish them in the broiler, a technique the chef there recommends for at-home pizza cooks. Cesarec also gets to go behind the scenes, down into the basement, to visit the curing room at Otto.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 24 Creamy, Melty, Cheesy Recipes to Warm Your Belly
- Forget Soaking. Use Your Pressure Cooker for Perfect Black Beans in Under an Hour.
- The Food Lab: 15-Minute Ultra-Gooey Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Can Cinder, the World's Most Precise Griddle, Replace Sous-Vide?
- These Toasted Baguette Croutons Are Better Than Most Crackers