Jeremy Cesarec of the website Metromix goes from "pizza schmoe to pizza pro" after taking a pizza workshop and hanging out in the kitchens of a couple pizza chefs, including one at Mario Batali's Otto Pizzeria. At Otto, they cook pizzas on a griddle then finish them in the broiler, a technique the chef there recommends for at-home pizza cooks. Cesarec also gets to go behind the scenes, down into the basement, to visit the curing room at Otto.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- Quick! Make These Fried Eggs With Morels, Ramps, and Bacon
- 18 Refreshing Recipes for Lemonade and Limeade
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- 30-Minute Meal Plan: Quick and Simple Recipes to Free Up a Busy Week