Jeremy Cesarec of the website Metromix goes from "pizza schmoe to pizza pro" after taking a pizza workshop and hanging out in the kitchens of a couple pizza chefs, including one at Mario Batali's Otto Pizzeria. At Otto, they cook pizzas on a griddle then finish them in the broiler, a technique the chef there recommends for at-home pizza cooks. Cesarec also gets to go behind the scenes, down into the basement, to visit the curing room at Otto.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- Special Sauce: Carla Hall on Crank Calls, Hot Chicken, and Unlocking Your Creativity
- 7 Great Uses for a Fine-Mesh Strainer (Besides Straining)