So says Jon Stewart: "In fact, Mr. Stewart regards comedy as a kind of catharsis machine, a therapeutic filter for grappling with upsetting issues. 'What's nice to us about the relentlessness of the show,' he said, 'is you know you're going to get that release no matter what, every night, Monday through Thursday. Like pizza, it may not be the best pizza you’ve ever had, but it's still pizza, man, and you get to have it every night. It's a wonderful feeling to have this toxin in your body in the morning, that little cup of sadness, and feel by 7 or 7:30 that night, you've released it in sweat equity and can move on to the next day."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- How to Make the Most of Late-Summer Fruit With Pie