So says Jon Stewart: "In fact, Mr. Stewart regards comedy as a kind of catharsis machine, a therapeutic filter for grappling with upsetting issues. 'What's nice to us about the relentlessness of the show,' he said, 'is you know you're going to get that release no matter what, every night, Monday through Thursday. Like pizza, it may not be the best pizza you’ve ever had, but it's still pizza, man, and you get to have it every night. It's a wonderful feeling to have this toxin in your body in the morning, that little cup of sadness, and feel by 7 or 7:30 that night, you've released it in sweat equity and can move on to the next day."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- We Aged Eggnog for 1 Year to See if It's Worth the Wait
- The Better, Faster Way to Freeze and Defrost Your Foods
- Step Aside, McRib Sandwich: The Food Lab's Ribby McRibface Just Stole Your Glory
- How to Make Boston Baked Beans, the Low, Slow, Old-Fashioned Way
- Game-Winning Wings With Stubb's Spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce