So says Jon Stewart: "In fact, Mr. Stewart regards comedy as a kind of catharsis machine, a therapeutic filter for grappling with upsetting issues. 'What's nice to us about the relentlessness of the show,' he said, 'is you know you're going to get that release no matter what, every night, Monday through Thursday. Like pizza, it may not be the best pizza you’ve ever had, but it's still pizza, man, and you get to have it every night. It's a wonderful feeling to have this toxin in your body in the morning, that little cup of sadness, and feel by 7 or 7:30 that night, you've released it in sweat equity and can move on to the next day."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Transform Your Leftover Turkey Into Crispy, Juicy Carnitas
- How Thanksgiving Killed My Restaurant Career
- Leftovers Are the Best Part: 20 Recipes for the Day After Thanksgiving
- Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past: Our Highest Highs and Lowest Lows
- Stuffing on the Side: How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing