Openings: Eddie's of New Hyde Park Bringing Its Bar Pizza to the Streets of Midtown/Financial District
Rejoice, Long Island expats and Long Islanders who commute into NYC for work: Eddie's of New Hyde Park is bringing its renowned bar pizza to Manhattan. In May, Eddie's will dispatch a pizza truck to rumble along the city's not-so-mean streets.
How do we know this? Twitter, of course.
As Ed Levine wrote about Eddie's in Pizza: A Slice of Heaven:
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Eddie's pizza, which features a crust not much thicker than one of those pieces of cardboard sandwiched inside my laundered shirts. Though the crust is cracker-thin, it's surprisingly pliant. You can fold a slice of Eddie's pizza. Through five owners and seven decades, Eddie's has been pleasing Nassau County residents determined to save the bulk of the room in their stomachs for beer, not pizza.
Slice has contacted Eddie's for comment on location, hours, and offerings. Will update you when we find out more. Update: We just heard back from Eddie's with additional intel. Find it after the jump.
We have found out more. Here's the skinny, according to Derek Kaye of Eddie's :
- They're shooting for a late May opening (around Memorial Day)
- Location: "We plan on changing our spots but we are looking to settle into a routine of Midtown M/W/F and Wall Street T/Th"
- Pizzas will be made on the truck. "The crusts will be par-baked at Eddie's commissary, like they are for the restaurant," Kaye says, "and everything will be done on the truck. We are putting four Cecilware ovens in
- The pizza in the truck will be the same as at Eddie's. "We have already started breaking in the pizza stones to get that taste to be as similar as possible"
- No slices, only pies. "We will do our 10-inch bar pies in regular/whole Wheat, as well as a 16-inch large pie
- Toppings: Pepperoni, meatball, sausage, mushroom, as well as a few other staples. Watch @eddiespizzany on Twitter for daily specials ("eggplant ricotta, clams casino, broccoli cheddar bacon, and chicken cutlet w/garlic pies, to name a few")
- Other menu items: antipasto salad, sweet potato gnocchi, zucchini sticks