A Hamburger Today
Top This: Vesuviana Pizza (à la Adrienne's Pizzabar)
The Vesuviana at Adrienne's Pizzabar, Nick Angelis' lively restaurant in New York's Financial District, delivers an impressive composition of flavors. Spicy pepperoncini comes together with briny olives and salty anchovies to create a savory complexity unmatched by most pizza toppings. Although this pie should be avoided by sodium sensitive pizza lovers, one bite of this baby and we wanted more. Lucky for us, Adrienne's Executive Chef Francisco Martinez demonstrated how to make the Vesuviana step-by-step.
What You'll Need (for one pizza)
- 1 dough portion
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano, grated
- 2 tablespoons Grana Padano, grated
- 14 ounces can whole tomatoes
- 15 anchovies, packed in oil
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini peppers, coarsely chopped
- 10 Kalamata olives, seeded
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained*
- 10 leaves fresh basil, cut into a chiffonade
- Olive oil
*Francisco omitted capers when he made the Vesuviana with us. The pie is classically made with capers, which he adds at the same time as the olives and pepperoncini. Your choice whether to add them or leave them out.