Top This: Cherry Jones (à la Paulie Gee's)
For our latest installment of Top This, we met up with Paul "Paulie Gee" Giannone at the famed Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Paulie's protegé, Bryan Van Deusen, taught us how to make the Cherry Jones, which ups the topping ante with a rather nontraditional pizza ingredient, dried cherries. The slightly tart Bing cherries and orange blossom honey are perfectly played against creamy, earthy gorgonzola cheese, milky fior de latte, and sweet and salty prosciutto. The resulting pizza is rich, intense, and leaves you wanting more. Fortunately for Slice readers, you can follow the slideshow to recreate the Cherry Jones at home. But if you live anywhere near Greenpoint, do yourself a favor and visit Paulie Gee's for some of the greatest Neapolitan-style pies in New York.
If the Cherry Jones makes the man himself swoon, you know that's a good pizza pie!
What You'll Need (for one pizza)
- 1 dough portion (Watch this video to learn how to make Neapolitan style dough)
- Fior di Latte Mozarella, chopped or ripped into small pieces
- A small wedge of Gorgonzola (Paulie uses BelGioso Crumbly Gorgonzola)
- Dried Bing cherries (Paulie gets his from Yellow Frame Farm)*
- Prosciutto di Parma, sliced thin
- Orange blossom honey (Paulie uses Gunter's, from Virginia)
*During the months that figs are in season (June-October), Paulie Gee makes the same pie with slices of black mission fig instead of cherries. He calls the pie "Go Fig Yourself".
About the author: Originally from Los Angeles, Erin Mosbaugh writes Je Blague, where she captures her food adventures in NYC and beyond. Erin also writes dining and nightlife features for Robb Report's New York City.