As the wife and I walked in to one of our local favorites last night, we were greeted by a menagerie of bread animals, including this cute wood-fired alligator (or maybe it's a crocodile, I don't know). We've been going to Forno Italia regularly since I moved in with my better half a couple years ago. I've never seen anyone on the oven but Cruz, who makes a solid if not stunning pie for the Astoria-Ditmars area—his focaccia, though, is outstanding. I think this is what he must do to amuse himself in his downtime there.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 22 Supermarket Items You Should Leave on the Shelf (and What to Get Instead)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Making Nachos for the Super Bowl? Here Are the Essentials
- The Food Lab: Building a Better Egg McMuffin
- Smoky and Spicy Chicken Tinga Is the Ultimate One-Pot Taco Filling