As the wife and I walked in to one of our local favorites last night, we were greeted by a menagerie of bread animals, including this cute wood-fired alligator (or maybe it's a crocodile, I don't know). We've been going to Forno Italia regularly since I moved in with my better half a couple years ago. I've never seen anyone on the oven but Cruz, who makes a solid if not stunning pie for the Astoria-Ditmars area—his focaccia, though, is outstanding. I think this is what he must do to amuse himself in his downtime there.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 2): 25 Delicious Side Dishes for Labor Day
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.