As the wife and I walked in to one of our local favorites last night, we were greeted by a menagerie of bread animals, including this cute wood-fired alligator (or maybe it's a crocodile, I don't know). We've been going to Forno Italia regularly since I moved in with my better half a couple years ago. I've never seen anyone on the oven but Cruz, who makes a solid if not stunning pie for the Astoria-Ditmars area—his focaccia, though, is outstanding. I think this is what he must do to amuse himself in his downtime there.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Here's Why McDonald's Burgers Don't Rot
- The Food Lab: Follow the Rules for the Best All-American Beef Stew
- Nachos for One? The Microwave Is Your Best Friend
- How to Make Ribollita, an Italian Vegetable Soup That's Also a Pancake
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)