While mozzarella will always be pizza's main squeeze, one of the most appealing aspects of pizza is its versatility. A round of dough invites all kinds of unique flavor combos and topping experiments. (More than one home pizza maker has stumbled across their favorite new pie while cleaning out the fridge.) And what better excuse to get more mileage from the tail end of that wedge of smoky blue, fontina, pepper jack, or Spanish mahon? We've seen all kinds of inspiring cheese and topping pairings on Slice—both from restaurants via Top This, and from homemade pizza submissions made by readers to My Pie Monday. Here are eight cheeses and topping suggestions that will make you rethink going straight for the mozz.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- 7 Great Uses for a Fine-Mesh Strainer (Besides Straining)
- The Food Lab: Follow the Rules for the Best All-American Beef Stew