Three years ago, Paulie Giannone told then-music supervisor Mike Kurtz he could apprentice at his newly opened pizzeria, Paulie Gee's. Mike told Paulie, "Next week, when I come in, I'm going to bring my condiment." The first day of his apprenticeship, in walked Mike with a bottle of his homemade chile-infused honey.
It wasn't long before the two pizzaioli figured out that the chile and vinegar-spiked honey and Paulie's Dellboy pizza (a salty, meaty, piquant pizza made with spicy sopressata, fresh mozz, and parmigiano reggiano) were a match made in pizza heaven. And that's how the aptly named Hellboy, a must-order pie on the Paulie Gee's menu, was born.
Click through the slideshow to learn how to make the Hellboy at home.
What You'll Need (for one pizza)
- 1 dough portion (Watch this video to learn how to make Neapolitan style dough)
- Fresh tomato sauce
- Fresh mozarella, chopped or ripped into small pieces
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Soppressata piccante (Paulie gets his from Salumeria Biellese)
- Mike's Hot Honey (You can buy a 12 oz bottle of Mike's chili pepper-infused honey at Paulie Gee's or online at mikeshothoney.com)
About the author: Originally from Los Angeles, Erin Mosbaugh writes Je Blague, where she captures her food adventures in NYC and beyond. Erin also writes dining and nightlife features for Robb Report's New York City and First We Feast.