What's Up in Pizza: Disco Ball Ovens, Pizza Pot Pie, Slice Happy Dogs, and More!
- According to Foodbeast, Disco Volante, a Viennese pizzeria, has a shiny new toy. Designer Lukas Galehr came up with this whimsical example of design-meets-practicality: their new pizza oven is also a giant disco ball, and fully capable of performing either function.
- For the 12th year in a row, the folks at Fox's Pizza Den in Punxsutawney, PA (home of the famous groundhog) held their Pizza and Prevention event. Around 5,400 pizzas were sold, with proceeds ($50,000) going to the Fire Department. Read more in the Punxsutawney Spirit.
- Over on Buzzfeed, another mindlessly distracting list: seventeen dogs who understand how much you love pizza. I haven't been able to decide if my heart goes out to the midnight-snack thief in #6, or the pigged out pug in #17.
- Over at The Splendid Table, there's a roundup of some regional pizza oddities. High on the list for strange? Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co.'s "pizza pot pie"—essentially a deep dish pie served upside down, which Slicer's might already be familiar with.
- Also in Chicago, restaurant Tesori is celebrating Pizza Month this October with a new speciality pie every day. Check out their Pizza Month Calendar for details—today's pie is an intriguing combo of sweet potato, speck, and burrata.
- To round out the coverage, a tweet of wisdom from ChillHumor I think we can all get behind: "I would eat a lot more salads if they were made out of pizza".