Ed Levine already named the slices coming out of the Vera Forno oven at Williamsburg Pizza "top-five-in-NYC quality." So we decided to hit up this South Williamsburg newcomer and talk to owner and pizzaiolo Nino Coniglio about his stellar toppings. Of special interest was an off-menu square pie topped with smoky thick-cut bacon, smoked mozzarella, pungent gorgonzola, and apples that go all soft and sweet in the oven. Click through the slideshow below to learn how to make this salty-sweet, porky pizza at home.
What You'll Need (for one pizza)
- 1 dough portion (See Kenji's Basic Square Pan Pizza Dough Recipe to learn how to make dough à la nonna)
- Smoked mozzarella, sliced or ripped into large pieces
- Fresh mozzarella, grated
- Thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces (Nino gets his from Mario & Sons Meat Market in Williamsburg)
- 1-2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- Gorgonzola, crumbled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Parsley, chopped
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.